Board Leadership - Online Training Courses
A series of online courses designed to empower leaders of Catholic education boards, councils, and commissions with tools and information that will enable them to grow in effectiveness.
In each course, participants work through a series of lesson points, readings (provided online), and discussion questions, and participate in discussion boards. You will be able to read and respond to the comments of other participants, establishing a dialogue with participants and the facilitator. One or more professionals in the field will facilitate discussion.
All you need is a computer and Internet connection to go online and participate at any time of day that is convenient for you during the duration of the course. Recommended amount of time is at least an hour a day, in order to keep current with class discussion boards. You may access the course at any time of day during the dates posted for your course and work at your own speed.
Courses are developed by the NCEA Boards and Councils Department in partnership with the University of Dayton. The site is hosted by the University’s Virtual Learning Community for Faith Formation.
Who will benefit:
- Vice Chairpersons
- Board members
- Committee chairs and members
- Assistant Superintendents
- Any administrator who works with boards
- Each course is 2 or 3 weeks duration.
- Each course is on a specific topic. Upcoming topics and dates are listed on the registration form. Topics will be repeated on a rotating schedule.
- Moderated by experienced leaders.
- Select any course(s) you want in any order. Each stands alone.
- All required readings and materials are provided online.
- Submit assignments, post comments on class discussion boards, and interact with moderators — all online.
- Some participants have formed professional relationships with classmates in other parts of the country in order to continue the dialogue beyond the completion of the course.
Credit: 1.5 Continuing Education Units (based on national standards) per course will be granted by the University of Dayton at no additional cost. Certificates will be mailed automatically following the successful completion of the course.
Cost — for NCEA Members:
- $45 per person, per course
- $110 for a team of 3 from the same board (plus $35 for each additional person)
Cost — for Those Who Are NOT Members of the NCEA:
- $80 per person per course
- $200 for a team of 3 from the same board (plus $70 for each additional person)
Membership in the NCEA Boards and Councils Department
If your board is not a member of NCEA, please consider joining. Membership in the department provides more than just a significant discount on services. When your board or council is a member, it receives ongoing support and nurturing of your entire board throughout the year through printed publications, a monthly electronic newsletter for Catholic board members, and other services — that builds on the learning that takes place in the online courses and provides significant support all year long. Learn more about membership here.
Follow-Up Discussion Boards
We also offer - to those who complete a course - the opportunity to continue the discussion with classmates on Wikispaces for a few weeks. This will give you a way to support one another with feedback, questions, or advice as you apply what you learned in the course. An invitation to log in will be sent at the completion of a course.