FRIDAY: Celebrating Faculty, Staff and Volunteers
Teachers are the backbone of Catholic schools. On this day, schools honor teachers, as well as administrators and staff who support teachers in their important work, and thank the parents, grandparents, alumni, parishioners and school board members who provide volunteer service.
Recognize an outstanding teacher by awarding him or her with the opportunity to attend a professional development event or conference such as the annual NCEA Convention & Expo. If the funds are not already allocated in the school budget, encourage parents, friends and alumni to contribute toward the cost of registration and accommodations. Look into acquiring Title II funding. The attendance of one teacher can have a great impact on the entire school, as they will return with ideas and reenergized motivation to share with the entire community.
Ideas for Celebrating Faculty, Staff and Volunteers
- Hang a sign on each classroom door to recognize each teacher personally.
- Host a breakfast or offer a travelling “coffee cart” for teachers and administrators.
- Hold an assembly to recognize teachers and volunteers for their dedication and hard work.
- Invite parents and community members to your school to teach students practical life skills.
- Host a fun teacher versus student trivia contest.
- Invite parents to lead a creative project activity where each student can make something for their teacher or a staff member, or for their favorite teacher/staff member. Allow this to be a project for students to create something that reminds them of their teacher or staff member.
- Set up a “thank-you” page on your website and say “thanks” to all those who work at the school and who volunteer.
- Send a list of faculty, staff and volunteers to the parish bulletin editors with a note of thanks and inviting anyone who would like to be a part of the school family to contact the school.
- Create a social media post thanking your school’s faculty, staff and volunteers and use #CSW21.